For registered (GMC/ NMC) Doctors, Nurses and Midwives
This two day course fulfils the requirements of the NHS Cervical Screening Programme for training novice cervical screening sample takers. PHE NHS Cervical Screening Programme, Guidance for the training of cervical screening sample takers, Nov 2016
The link above is for the updated training document where it recommends:
"Registered nurses, midwives, physician associates and registered nursing associates should complete a recognised theoretical course followed by a period of supervised practical training, both elements of which should be in accordance with this guidance. All doctors are expected to have completed an adequate level of theoretical and practical training as part of their specialist training. It is, however, recommended that doctors undertake this recognised cervical screening training."
- See the Course Dates list
- Note that the 2 day course is split and does not run over two continuous days.
- All courses run from 09:00 to 17:00 on both days
- Download the Booking Form (PDF) to book onto this course. Please contact us if you have any questions related to your booking.
- Venues vary depending on date, see the Course Dates list and Course Venues list for more information.
This course is for registered (GMC/ NMC) Doctors, Nurses, Midwives, Physician Associates and Registered Nursing Associates registered with the PA-MVR (Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Register)
Students need to be working in a relevant area of clinical practice, in order to meet the requirements of the practical component of the course. The course is designed to be completed within three months of the first theory day of the course.
Students will need to identify and provide confirmation of a suitable clinical practice area and training supervisor to mentor the student’s practical component. More information regarding this follows.
Course CompositionTwo theoretical study days, with presentations from colleagues within the cervical screening programme:
- Usually Call and Recall, the Cytopathology Laboratory, Colposcopy, and a visit to the cytopathology laboratory
- A visit to your local Colposcopy clinic
- Practical training at the sample takers place of work
- A mid course review with your course tutor
- Audit of cervical screening samples
- A final assessment with your Training Supervisor
- Completion of a Personal Training Record
Teaching and Learning Methods
These include tutorials, discussions, relevant field visits, self directed web based learning and research, practical demonstrations, supervision and reflection. Clinical practice based learning and visits.
- Background and organisation of the NHS Cervical Screening Programme
- Call and Recall – Open Exeter
- HPV Triage and Test of Cure
- Equality of access to cervical screening; women with learning and physical disabilities
- Necessary cause of cervical cancer and HPV
- Anatomy and physiology of the female reproductive system
- Practical aspects of taking cervical screening samples, LBC
- Understanding test results
- Patient education, health promotion, working as a team.
- Colposcopy, treatment and follow up
- Professional accountability, legal and ethical issues
- Skills for Health Competencies CHS37
- Quality Assurance in cervical screening
- Local policy and screening programme
- Meeting the required Skills for Health.
- Personal training record.
Further Information and Booking
If you have questions about any aspect of the training please contact us directly by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please return your completed “Booking and Confirmation of Training Supervisor Form” with a cheque made payable to “Helen Doherty”, return booking details to:
H Doherty East England Training PO Box 315 Baldock Hertfordshire SG6 9DZ
Unfortunately it is not possible to reserve places.
Please note that places cancelled with more than 4 weeks notice will incur a £50 administration charge.
There will be no refund for place cancellation with less than 4 weeks notice.
When your booking is confirmed you will receive your Personal Training Record and course information by email. There is work to be completed before Day One of the Theory Course.
Download Forms and Documentation
- Download the Foundation Course Application Forms